Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Samson and the ladies

Samson had a problem. He liked the ladies. In fact, we see him struggle with this throughout his life. In Judges chapter 14 we read about Samson's first marriage which didn't last but a week. Samson's relationship with this young Philistine woman was characterized by selfishness. Verse three reads: "But Samson said to his father, go get her for me. She's the right one for me." Later we read: "then he (Samson) went down and talked with the woman and he liked her."

"She's the right one for me." Did you catch it? You see, Samson was asking the wrong question. To him it was all about him. Will she please me? Will she fulfill all my needs? Do I like her? Is she the right one for me?

Instead of boisterously stating "she's the one for me" Samson should have been humbly pondering: "Am I the right one for her." Samson didn't have a proper understanding of marriage, hence why his marriages always ended in chaos.

Marriage is not about finding the right one, but being the right one.

Before saying "I do" will you ask the right question?

No comments: